Opportunities for Past & Present US Military Personnel

Opportunities for Past & Present US Military Personnel

Below is a list of potential tuition reimbursement and educational opportunities available for past & present US military personnel. You may be eligible to apply these benefits towards your tuition costs at the Great Lakes OSHA Education Center.

Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) assists active duty Servicemembers and Reservists in pursuing higher education degrees, certificates, and other education and training. MGIB supports those who enlist in the U.S. armed forces through two main programs: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty – Also known as Chapter 30, this program provides education benefits to Veterans and Servicemembers who have completed at least two years of active duty service. Active duty personnel who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months are eligible for a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve – Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling may receive 36 months of education benefits.

Learn more about the Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty
Learn more about the Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve
Montgomery GI Bill Overview

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help you pay for higher out-of-state, private school, or graduate school tuition that the Post-9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover. Find out if your school is a part of this program. You can get this benefit if you  qualify for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and your school takes part in the Yellow Ribbon Program and has confirmed your enrollment with the VA.

Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program

Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Testing

If you’re eligible, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can reimburse you for taking a license or certification test. The test must be approved for VA purposes.

You may receive reimbursement for approved licensing and certification tests if you qualify for: Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) (Public Law 109-163 enacted January 6, 2006), Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) (Public Law 109-163 enacted January 6, 2006), Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), or Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA).

Learn more about Licensing and Certification reimbursement

Post-9/11 GI Bill

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill at colleges, universities, trade schools, and for on-the-job training, apprenticeships, and flight schools. You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.

Fry Scholarship
The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.

Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill
Learn more about the Fry Scholarship

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services

The VR&E program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap and Service members who are in the process of transitioning from military to civilian employment prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.

Learn more about Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services